Principal's Message - June 2019
June 2019 Principal’s Newsletter
- It is hard to believe that the school year is just about over.
- Next year we will be continuing our work with student assessment, evaluation and reporting practice.
- We have spent a lot of time reviewing literature and research surrounding best assessment practices over the last seven years.
- Our assessment practice will again be one of our main priorities for next year and the years to come to be sure that our assessment practices are aligning from grades seven through twelve as well as with the Clearview School Division Administrative Procedures.
- We will also be continuing with our Collaborative Response Model (CRM) to be able to identify any students that may be struggling with their schoolwork and to provide supports to fill in the gaps in their learning needs.
- We will continue to work on improving the results of our Diploma and PAT exam results.
- We will be continuing with our work on improving student literacy and numeracy in our school and throughout our school district.
- Our school will continue with our school wide focus on improving the literacy and numeracy skills of our students.
- Our high school timetable has changed slightly just about every year for the last nine years since being a part of the High School Flexibility Enhancement Pilot Project and also because of listening to student voice and concerns.
- Next year the timetable will be different because of three main factors. First, two sets of instructional hours within one timetable are necessary (950 Hrs. Min. grades 7-9 and 1000 Hrs. Min. grades 10-12) that needs to be met. Second, the sharing of staff and resources with three schools and third the balancing of time between all of our instructional blocks.
- Continuing in September 2019, Clearview Public Schools will be entering into the twelfth year of embedded Professional Development for all of their teaching staff.
- Embedded Professional Development allows teachers in all Clearview schools, the opportunities to work with the same grade and subject colleagues to plan units, lessons and projects together. It also gives teachers an opportunity to share common assessments, evaluations, teaching strategies, best practices and resources within their areas of expertise.
- Next year’s school learning calendar is also on-line on the Clearview Public School’s website and on our schools’ website outlining all of the Embedded Professional Days in which the students will not be required to be in school.
- Our school days will start at 9:00 A.M. and end at 3:15 P.M. Monday to Friday. A reminder and calendar of important school dates will be available at the start of the school year and also on our school website.
- Diploma, PAT and regular finals will be starting soon. The Gr. 12 final exams begin on Wednesday June 12 and continue until June 27. The last day of regular scheduled classes for all students is Thursday June 20.
- Please check the enclosed exam schedule for the dates and times of when your child is writing. Our exam schedule is also posted on our schools’ website. Most of the grade 12 diploma and grade 9 PAT exams will once again be written in our high school Flex Space (Room 202, 204 and the Flex Room) as well as the Bi-Flex and Tri-Flex rooms in the Jr. High part of our school. All other exams will be written in the teacher classrooms, please check with your teacher to confirm the room that you will be writing in.
- Best of luck everyone with the writing of your final exams.
- Final Marks for all students will be available on Maplewood. Paper copies of Report Cards will be available to pick up on June 28th 10:00 a.m. -12:00 p.m. Due to the implementation of the new student information system (PowerSchool), timetables will be mailed out in August.
- We will be using a new Student Information System (PowerSchool), next year.
- Timetable changes for students will be on Thursday August 29 and Friday August 30 between 9:00 A.M. and 3:30 P.M.
- Notifications and reminders will be sent out through our School Messenger, Facebook, Twitter our School Website as well as our outdoor sign.
- School calendar magnets showing important school year events will be available again but will not be mailed out. They will be distributed to students to bring home at the start of the school year as well as available to be picked up at our open house on Thursday, September 26 from 4:00 P.M. – 7:00 P.M. at our Open House.
- The first day back for grade 10,11 and 12 students is Tuesday September 3, grade 7,8 and 9 students will return to school on Wednesday September 4. The first day back for all students is Thursday September 5. Our school picture day will also be happening on Thursday September 5. Information from Lifetouch, our photography company will be available on our first day of school and on our website.
- As usual, if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at school or via e-mail at email@example.com. I hope everyone has a pleasant and relaxing summer vacation.