Principal's Message - Jan 2020
Welcome back from the Christmas break! I hope everyone had a chance to rest and reconnect with friends and family. I would like to wish everyone a happy, healthy and prosperous 2020!
I would like to start by addressing the lockdown that occurred on Friday, Dec. 20. That morning around 11 am, we were notified by the RCMP that there was a potential threat. Following our emergency procedures, we initiated a precautionary lockdown as did Stettler Elementary School. RCMP officers were on-site to assist with the lockdown. At no time, were there any weapons at the school. At approximately 11:45 am parents were notified of the lockdown via School Messenger. At 12:10 pm the RCMP notified us that the lockdown could be lifted. During this period of time staff supervised and supported students. Students were released for lunch at approximately 12:30 pm. Afternoon activities resumed at 1:15 pm.
We appreciate the cooperation of our students, staff, parents, and RCMP in addressing and resolving this matter.
We use situations like these to learn and improve. Over the next few months administration will be reviewing all protocols ensuring that we are following expert advice. One of the concerns noted is that some students continued to use their cell phones to message friends and family. We can understand why this would happen but due to the location services on phones, many of these children were broadcasting their locations. This is a significant concern. Please assist us in reminding your children that they are not to be using their cell phones during a lockdown.
We have also heard that some parents did not receive the SchoolMessenger call out. Please contact the school (403-742-3466) to ensure we have your accurate contact information. Also, we can assist you in ensuring your SchoolMessenger account is set up the way you want so you get all messages the way you would like.
A reminder that the last day of classes for Gr. 10-12 is January 23. The last day for Gr. 9’s is January 27. The Gr. 7 and & 8’s last day is January 29. The Gr. 7 & 8’s will continue with their core classes in Semester 2 and will receive new options.
Please check the exam schedule included in this newsletter to ensure there is no confusion on dates and times of final exams.
- English 30-1 and 30-2 (January 13th & 23rd) and Social Studies 30-1 and 30-2 (January 14th) will be written in the Bi-Flex and Tri-Flex Rooms.
- Math 30-1 and 30-2 (January 22nd) will be in the Bi-Flex Room.
- All other Diploma Exams will be written in the Math Flex Space.
- All of our Grade 9 PAT Exams (January 19th & 28th- Language Arts and January 29th- Science) will be written in the Bi-Flex and Tri-Flex rooms.
- High School students writing Non-Diploma exams, please check with your classroom teachers to confirm the date, time and place of your final exams.
- Our second semester will start on Monday, February 3rd.
- Good luck to all students writing exams and I hope that everyone does well on their final exams.
Please remember to log in to the PowerSchool site (bit.ly/PowerSchool-Student-Parent) to check your child’s current grades and to see your child’s Semester 2 schedule by selecting Classes and then looking at S2 on the app.
If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me at 403-742-3466 or email@example.com.
Mrs. D. Enyedy